Monday, July 11, 2011

All Star Break Rant



Well we are halfway through the baseball season and I think we are all underwhelmed. Other than the fact that my fantasy team is doing better than it has in years, (Thank you Jose Bautista) it has been very ho-hum. My team, the Chicago Cubs, is just a terrible terrible team, with terrible terrible players and terrible terrible management top to bottom. They almost make me wish I was a Dodger fan. 
 


The Dodgers might be more of a sh*tshow than the Cubs but at least they have some players that are enjoyable to watch. The Dodgers divorce and bankruptcy thing doesn’t bother me as mush as it should I guess. Living in LA my whole life, Dodger games have been my baseball experience and nothing as really changed. (aside from the intense security) My biggest beef with the Dodgers at the moment is that the time changed for a game in my 10 game plan and I had no idea. I turned on the TV and the game was on. I said wait a minute the game is supposed to be a 7:10pm game not a 1:00pm game. Of course this game is a no hitter until 2 outs in bottom of the 9th. I would of liked to go to that game. Oh well.

As for my hapless Cubs, it is just time to rebuild. They came close in the 2000’s. 2003, 07, 08, they could of done it. But now? I don’t think so. It seems that everyone in Cubs nation wants them to unload everyone. I don’t understand it. We haven’t got a good prospect out of a trade since Ryne Sandberg was a throw in for Larry Bowa in 1982. How about we just put these guys out there and play them every day? Tony Campana is never going to be a starter in the major leagues. Look at Sam Fuld, remember when he tore it up for the Rays in April and every dumbass Cubs fan was “why did they trade him?” We traded him because he is batting .238 and can’t hit major league level pitching. That’s all we have in the minor leagues. Starlin Castro is the only exception. And if I am correct the Cubs pretty much lucked out on him.  They didn’t scout him, I think he just showed up hitting sliders all over the place at some camp they had in the DR, and 3 years later he is in the big leagues.

That doesn’t happen enough to count on. You have to go out there and scout talent. You can’t just dump payroll for nothing when your scouting department is finding the Ryan Theriot's of the world. Why are all the other teams so deep and the Cubs so thin? We traded away all of prospects for Matt Garza and now they are saying he is on the trading block? Why? You pay him, play him. You pay Fukudome, play him. I don’t care if he sucks we are paying him. We pay all of these kids nothing for a reason. They are bad. Tyler Colvin hit 20 home runs last year and now every Cubs fan wants him playing right field every day. Why? So the Cubs can be the worst team in baseball?

Just once I want the Cubs to rip someone off in a trade instead of the opposite. That happened in 2003 with the Jose Hernandez for Aramis Ramirez and Kenny Lofton deal. That deal is the sole reason that Cubs GM Jim Hendry still has a job. He has bamboozled everyone that he will pull that off again and it just hasn’t happened. It is looking like the Dodgers will not be able to resign both Matt Kemp and Andre Either. Go try and get one of those guys. But they won’t. They will trade Aramis Ramirez and Matt Garza to the Angels for Alberto Callaspo and some single A player who will never sniff the big leagues.

It is time to just clean house. Let all expiring contracts go and just keep playing the guys we do pay until everyone is gone.  If you do want to trade someone, trade Carlos Marmol. He is probably the most valuable trade bait that the Cubs have. But the Cubs need good young players not has beens a never will bes. We will see what the trade deadline brings, but this Cubs fan is not excited. Wait til 2015 is my motto and I am sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment